Drivers of electric and hybrid vehicles are looking for an enjoyable and environmentally responsible driving experience. When choosing tires for a hybrid or electric car, it’s important to keep in mind the difference between these cars and traditional cars. Electric and hybrid cars have battery packs that make them heavier than traditional cars that run on gasoline. This means that grip is even more important to allow proper braking. At the same time, obviously, the whole reason for driving an electric or hybrid car is to leave a smaller ecological footprint. This is why Nokian Tyres products an eco-friendly choice, as they have low rolling resistance to decrease the amount of energy needed for each trip. They offer low rolling resistance in their whole lineup of tires from summer to winter tires, all-season tires and all-weather tires. Low rolling resistance extends the distance an electric car can travel on each charge.
Nokian Tyres was the first tire manufacturer to receive ISO 14001 environmental certification. All raw materials used are the least harmful option, making Nokian Tyres the first tire manufacturing company to eliminate the use of harmful oils in its tire compounds. Only purified oils are used in tire production, never toxic or carcinogenic chemicals. The company follows self-imposed strict science-based targets to lower greenhouse gas emissions in line with climate science. They have managed to reduce energy consumption by 2.5% per production ton. When choosing tires from Nokian Tyres, you are picking products that are good for you and less harmful to the environment.
There are also driver-based changes that can be made to positively impact our planet – simple things like keeping the tires properly inflated. The reason for this is that properly inflated tires reduce rolling resistance as the car’s fuel is used to provide energy to propel the tires along the road. If you lower rolling resistance, the car becomes more fuel-efficient and thereby lowers carbon dioxide emissions. Since 2013 Nokian has reduced the rolling resistance of its tires by an average of 8 percent, resulting in a reduction of 128 million kg of CO2.
If you care about the environment, make low rolling resistance a high priority the next time you choose a tire, keeping in mind the importance of properly inflated tires. It is also important to buy tires from an environmentally conscious company because even though 85 percent of the tire’s carbon footprint is generated during its use, the other 15 percent comes from the way the tires are sourced and manufactured.